A twist on traditional potato latkes, these have the addition of courgette (zucchini), resulting in a crispy outer and spicy, juicy, pancake-like inner. You could even add some chilli for an extra hint of spice.
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOKING TIME: 20 MINUTES
3x (480g) courgettes
1x large or 4x small (390g) potatoes
1x red onion
3x medium eggs
1 tbsp garlic puree
40g plain flour
Pinch black pepper
1 rounded tsp dried chilli flakes
200ml Pura Coconut Oil Blend
- Peel the potatoes and onion, top and tail the courgettes, then grate on the medium side of a grater. Put the grated vegetables in a clean, cloth tea towel.
- Twist and squeeze over a bowl until no more liquid comes out. You can throw the liquid away, or decant it into a sealed container for use in a soup later. Return the grated veg to the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs with the flour, garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper until smooth. Don’t worry if there are a few lumps!
- Pour the egg mix onto the grated vegetables and mix well. Top tip: I find a fork works best for this job, just make sure you get right down to the bottom of the bowl so that everything is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle on the chilli flakes and mix well again.
- Pour the oil into a frying pan until it’s about 1/2 inch deep, then place over a high heat.
- Turn down to medium and use an ice cream scoop to pick up the batter, flatten off on top and dollop into the pan – it should start to sizzle immediately, but if you find they’re browning almost immediately, turn the heat down some more.
- Fry for about 5 minutes until browned underneath, then use a slotted spatula to flip them over and fry for a couple more minutes until evenly browned on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels and repeat until all the batter is used up before serving. They’re wonderful for lunch with a crunchy pepper salad.
To find out more about Emily and what she thought of cooking with Pura Coconut Oil Blend, visit her blog here: www.amummytoo.co.uk/2016/10/courgette-latkes/