Well, the good news is that you’re not alone.
Many of us wake up feeling grumpy and groggy in the morning, which is a big fat fail if you want to bring your A game to your morning agenda.
Here are our 7 favourite tips that’ll have you waking up as fresh as a well-rested daisy (and not an expensive face cream in sight!).
- Plan for tomorrow, tonight. You’re just about to fall asleep, and bam! That thing you’ve been worrying about pops back into your head. One way to stave off night-time niggles is to prepare your morning routine the night before. Lay out your clothes, pack your bag, make your lunch, and 7am on a Monday will feel Easy Like Sunday Morning.
- No screens before bed. If you want to wake up with a full battery, limit your screen time before bed. Skip the binge-worthy TV series and wind down with a book instead. Create the perfect sleeping environment by keeping your bedroom dark, quiet and cool.
- Be consistent. Try to go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning. Even if you’re out late, following the same bed-time ritual signals to your brain that it’s time to sleep.
- Eat well. Your cheat code to a deep sleep actually starts in the kitchen. Choose lean protein and lots of colourful fruit and veg. Cut back on sugary foods and refined carbs and replace with nourishing alternatives, such as our Chilli-Spiced Salmon with Pura Tabbouleh, made with Pura Liquid Coconut Oil. (Bonus tip: eating fish may even help you fall asleep faster.)
- Drink well. Tired of feeling tired? Alcohol and caffeine are not your friends. To avoid a sleep-sapping adrenaline kick later in the day, swap your flat white for herbal tea. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and limit the next-day effects of alcohol. Just make sure you visit the loo before bed.
- Keep it moving. Did you know that getting sweaty for at least 30 minutes a day can help you sleep better? Walking more and sitting less throughout the day stops you feeling sluggish. Get outside if you can. In the morning, a quick yoga flow before breakfast is a great way to wake up body and mind. Om.
- Don’t hit snooze. Napping for a few more minutes is oh-so-tempting, but it won’t leave you feeling refreshed. When your alarm beeps, get up, get the lights on and get moving.
Wake up refreshed in 7 easy steps? Done. You’ll be ready for breakfast after that. How about some scrambled eggs cooked in our Pura Coconut Oil? Check out our range of breakfast-friendly coconut oil products.